Eastridge is dedicated to fostering community collaborations and partnerships. The shopping center will undergo a redevelopment to create a cultural shopping destination hub and catalyst for public art in a private space. We have begun a public mural project as a way of demonstrating our commitment to urban renewal and growth in our neighborhood. By establishing a visual public presence, we hope that the community will join us in investing in the city’s future. Eastridge is requesting artist proposals for a painted mural to be installed along the exterior of the shopping center on existing blank, brick or stucco walls.
We believe the series of spaces will provide a vibrant and eclectic, local community gathering space and a unique urban open space experience. It will also help to create an attractive, walkable and safe pedestrian link around the perimeter of the mall and to/from the transit station.
Any artist or team of artists interested in creating a two dimensional mural, to be completed in Spring 2017. Submissions are open to all artists (at least 18 years old) residing in California.
- Create a piece of public art for an outdoor environment that reflects the spirit of the Bay Area
- Engage our local artist community through, volunteer participation, meet the artist opportunities, demonstrations, etc.
- Select a dedicated and qualified artist or artist team that can demonstrate artistic excellence while completing this project on time and within budget.
There are a series of spaces designated for this mural program. Dimensions and locations of applicable walls are included in the attached documents. The wall base surfaces vary. The surface material is brick at the JCPenney Corner. Artists should submit what background is preferred and what should be primed only or base painted in a specific color. The base paint/primer will not be part of the artist budget.
Mural to be completed on the JCPenney outlined wall shown below. You’ll be a great company with amazing artist from around the country.
JCPenney Corner – 2,230 sq. ft. of creative artist space to work and create on!
- Click the Mural Application button and complete the form on the next page.
- Upload a Video to Facebook and check into Eastridge on Facebook, in the video highlight why you should be chosen. Include who you are, where you come from, how long you lived in the area, examples of past works, and your vision for the project. Include a link to the video in the form on the next page. Best Video will win $500! A narrative and design illustrating the concept is required for each submission. Include as much supplemental information such as medium, paint type and timeline for completion.
- All components must be in digital format for submission renderings (which may be completed with digital media or by hand and scanned), to be included as a link in the Application Form or sent via dropbox to Info@eastridgemanagement.com.
- The budget should include the artist(s) fee, supplies, travel-related expenses, and other associated costs including insurance.
- Supporting materials, including images and reviews of previously completed works, are required. Examples should describe size, materials, cost, and location of other public works. References for earlier projects are encouraged.
- The submission deadline is February 15, 2017.
Artists will retain the ownership of design ideas submitted with this application until a selection has been made and contract signed between the artist and Eastridge. At the time a contract is awarded, the ownership of the design and the artwork produced, in this case the public/private art mural project, will become the property of Eastridge.
Pacific Retail, Gensler and community members will be solicited to discuss and give their opinions on the design which best fits Eastridge. The final selections will be made by the shopping center’s executive team.
Financial compensation and insurance for completion of the mural will be made in accordance with the agreed upon contract between the artist(s) and the shopping center. A suitable Artist Maintenance Plan must be submitted. A sample maintenance plan is included for reference.
Walls Primed / Base Coat Painted
Artists Commence Painting
Artists Complete Murals